Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

What News?
12-09-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: What News?
what i mean about checking notices is:

check the group notices, as really we are an active group and send out a lot like "new traits", "hints" etc. those we don't send to "notices and information" as they are a bit more social in nature.

we've always treated the "addicts" group as the group that gets tons of notices, even silly jokes, because well, it's full of the crazies Tongue

"notices and information is more formal and where we put things we put in the forum and there"

not sure we've changed anything lately, i will go ahead and announce the winter sim again in case some missed it, though it seems like it's been a big topic in chat since it opened. Smile

so again, nothing is changing Smile if you find we missed a notice, it wasn't intentional and you can IM and nudge us if you see that happen!

thanks so much for all your input!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: jwenting Resident
12-09-2014, 09:52 PM
So notices about exploits and warnings about them are simply social comments and don't require the prominence of a posting on the web news?

I seems to me that you're missing the point about the comments from the others.

Notices are inherently unreliable. You must be online to be made aware of them.

Your current policies assume all users will, invariably, log in to Second Life and immediately check all KittyCatS notices on the off chance that you've decided critical security notices, such as an on-going exploit, warnings about activities to be avoided, and the all-clear (assuming you did one) are simply social commentary, and don't rise to the level requiring a posting on your web site.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
12-09-2014, 11:25 PM
It is very common in SL, with copybotting and other illicit shenanigans, to keep public discussion of these issues under wraps, mainly so that more people don't figure out how it was done. In other words, nobody likes to advertise loopholes and bugs - certainly not if they haven't been patched (I have no idea what the status is for whatever current exploit is going on or did go on).
You know this, we all know this, surely.

It can be talked about, but on the level of gossip, that is, social commentary, yes.

I completely agree with you that assuming that we will all check for notices is an unfair assumption.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
12-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Remember there are also a lot of people who follow the group notices only, and not the forums.
So if they were to post everything here only, rather than in the in world group, a lot of people would be left out. Probably more people would be left out than those who for whatever reason don't check the notices in world (in my previous experience moderating online communities and product support, only a small minority of people participate in forums like this).

Just about the only thing that would ensure everyone is reached, is for KC to send an IM in world to everyone who owns a cat, AND a forum PM to everyone registered on the forums, AND an email notice to every registered forum account.
And even then there's far from a guarantee that any of those are being read as many people don't check their SL email account regularly, and maybe don't read the forums regularly (or miss the PM), etc. etc..
12-10-2014, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 02:07 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(12-09-2014 08:55 PM)Deer Thistle Wrote:  I'm rarely able to go in-world currently, having to rely on group notices some of the time doesn't help community members like me who have limited SL time nowadays. Sad

The news & events subforums provide a place for me to conveniently check out the latest KittyCatS happenings and helps me plan to log in-world to partake in any listed events that pique my interest. If something isn't posted on the forum, I'm 100% /not/ going to be "in the know" nor ever check it out as a result.

KittyCatS has always done an awesome job at informing community members through the forum and site blog. If this changes and KittyCatS considers omitting some updates/event posts from the forum in exchange for solely group notices for those events, please take my perspective into account as I'm certain that it won't affect only me.

Right the forum is the place to be informed because I am not much in world either as of late.
So if I do not know a reason (an event or what ever) to login I miss the fun.
As Tad said it shouldn't be so hard: select the content of your in world notice ctrl+c and ctrl+v on the forums.

(12-09-2014 09:15 PM)Callie Cline Wrote:  what i mean about checking notices is:

check the group notices, as really we are an active group and send out a lot like "new traits", "hints" etc. those we don't send to "notices and information" as they are a bit more social in nature.

we've always treated the "addicts" group as the group that gets tons of notices, even silly jokes, because well, it's full of the crazies Tongue

"notices and information is more formal and where we put things we put in the forum and there"

not sure we've changed anything lately, i will go ahead and announce the winter sim again in case some missed it, though it seems like it's been a big topic in chat since it opened. Smile

so again, nothing is changing Smile if you find we missed a notice, it wasn't intentional and you can IM and nudge us if you see that happen!

thanks so much for all your input!!!

I would love to be shared in the informal fun on the forums too while RL consumes a lot of my time lately.
The informal fun and quirkyness is, beyond others, why I like KC so much.
The good news is I have a solution Smile
Make an informal mewspaper here I'd love to be shared in your vague and blurry photos and hints for the upcoming release for example.
That's always a riot! Tongue

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Deer Thistle
12-10-2014, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 05:44 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(12-09-2014 11:40 PM)jwenting Resident Wrote:  Remember there are also a lot of people who follow the group notices only, and not the forums.
So if they were to post everything here only, rather than in the in world group, a lot of people would be left out. Probably more people would be left out than those who for whatever reason don't check the notices in world (in my previous experience moderating online communities and product support, only a small minority of people participate in forums like this).

Just about the only thing that would ensure everyone is reached, is for KC to send an IM in world to everyone who owns a cat, AND a forum PM to everyone registered on the forums, AND an email notice to every registered forum account.
And even then there's far from a guarantee that any of those are being read as many people don't check their SL email account regularly, and maybe don't read the forums regularly (or miss the PM), etc. etc..

Choosing who to reach out to in world via notice or the forums was never the question here so I do not understand why you make that up out of what is written here.
Serving both community needs is as simple as copy-paste that shouldn't be a too hard of a job.

Retro Kitties Showroom »

12-10-2014, 06:46 AM
OK. I get it. Being attacked is embarrassing. So the scenario goes like this:

"Hey. we've been hacked. I can fix it but the users will need to back off birthing boxes for a while."
"OK, I'll put out a group notice so those who are online now know not to birth for a couple hours."
"Thanks, but what about people who're not logged in when you send the notice?"
"Who cares about them? If they can't be online all the time they're not worth warning."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 06:52 AM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
(12-10-2014 06:46 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  OK. I get it. Being attacked is embarrassing. So the scenario goes like this:

"Hey. we've been hacked. I can fix it but the users will need to back off birthing boxes for a while."
"OK, I'll put out a group notice so those who are online now know not to birth for a couple hours."
"Thanks, but what about people who're not logged in when you send the notice?"
"Who cares about them? If they can't be online all the time they're not worth warning."

Wow that is seriously bad not to know especially because I breed in world so they make boxes partnered or not Undecided
And you are right we are entitled to know even though we are not 24/7 online or not daily simply because we pay for food and all.

Retro Kitties Showroom »

12-10-2014, 08:12 AM
If there is an actual danger to users then, yes, they should let people know. But if KittyCats has been hacked and there is no immediate effect for users then I can understand not publicizing it.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
12-10-2014, 12:02 PM
correct. And the only risk was to people buying a few highly specific cats (mega scarecrows mostly) on the secondary market.
For that you have to be in world, and if you were in world you got the notice.

Of course someone who's neither on the forums NOR in the group won't ever get a notice, and neither will potential first time buyers.
Can't reach everyone...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)