Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

area: parcel minus 5meters
01-16-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 08:07 AM by Kayla Woodrunner.)
area: parcel minus 5meters
it might be nice to have parcel minus 5 meters for an area. My kitties go right to the edge of my parcel and then fall off into the water or another parcel. Might be nice also for a person who has a sky house or platform because skydiving kitties are hard to catch. Keeping them 5 meters from the edge might let them roam without the dangers of going to the edge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: area: parcel minus 5meters
hi! if you click on range and choose "custom" you can set 3 mt !!! (there was also 1 mt but think was a sorta of problem so has been removed..
01-16-2014, 10:21 PM
So if I click on custom it will be my parcel (however big it is) minus 3 meters? So if my parcel is 32metersx64meters, the range will be 29 meters (32-3) x 61 meters (64-3) centered on the center of my parcel? I just want to make sure. Because that would be totally cool.
01-17-2014, 05:57 AM
no, sorry Smile
if you will choose custom and then 3 mt will be 3 mt range from where your cat have his home position set.
if you choose parcel will stay inside the parcel (should.. Smile
01-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Parcel range allows your cat to range up to the parcel boarders, horizontally, with no limits vertically.

The cat CAN exceed this setting if, at the end of its motion phase, when it switches from physical to non-physical (a trick which, once upon a time, but no longer, reduced Physics/Collision lag) if the center of the root prim is outside the range but the center of mass is not (say, it lays down before becoming non-physical). The problem is: if the cat is now off sim (or off parcel and subject to auto-return), it will be returned to your inventory. Once there, of course, it can't eat; so this is "Bad".

All other ranges are a sphere centered from the cat's Home position.

The Home position can be set to the cat's current position by a menu selection. Otherwise, the Home position is the point at which the cat was first placed in-world (either unboxed or brought in from your inventory).

The Range can be any number of whole Meters, within limits. Once upon a time you could set the range as low as 1 Meter, but this lower limit was raised to 3 Meters as a lag-fighting measure.

If, when switching from non-physical to begin a movement phase, the center of mass is inside a prim (say, a wall or floor) the object (linkset) becomes "temporarily non-physical, with respect to the cat" .. that is, the now-physical cat, since it BEGAN moving INSIDE the object does not "see" the object, at all. This can lead to the cat exceeding the range. A long, long time ago, I presented evidence of a cat moving several HUNDRED meters outside it range due to this "bug". I don't know what, if anything was, or can be done. Adding more prims, as suggested above, mitigates the problem but does not eliminate it. As with Parcel range, if the cat ends up outside the sim (or parcel) it becomes subject to auto-return.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2014, 10:20 PM
That explains a lot. First my cats were falling off my parcel as I had it on parcel. So I put a "fence" around my parcel but it was a hollowed out box so it would be 1 prim. Then I would find them inside the fence between the inside and the outside edge; and also sometimes I would find them on the outside of the fence. I can see this temp non-physical being increased even more with a megakitty.

At the moment I've given in and have restricted them to 12m (thanks to the explanation on the custom). It seems to solve the problem because they are no longer falling off my parcel. But since my parcel is thin and long, it means they have a small space to roam as compared to the parcel and they look crowded. That's why I thought a feature with parcel minus x meters would be helpful for people like me who don't live on a square.

Maybe I will try what someone else suggested and put up a double parameter fence -- the fence and an inner invisiprim. Or maybe I'll do a 2nd overlapping 12m circle.

I realize my real problem is I didn't do the math. I was brand new -- I got my first cat just 12 days ago and as I read more and more I would get more kitties (cheap ones and then moving down the ladder on recessive genes). I got impatient waiting for kitties so I bought a couple of couples at 100% just to get my first kitties. And then looking at them, I realized I didn't do the math because I was thinking of it like a mystery game, looking for the hidden traits. No wonder it is starting to get crowded. They sure start adding up fast. I'm not ready to put the live kitties in the cattery tho, because I like having my kitties. Right now only boxes go there. I wonder if this is stage 1 of kittyCats addiction.
01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes Kayla, it is the first of many stages of becoming a KittyCatS addict. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)