Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Question: Should old Genesis Traits be counted?
03-05-2016, 01:01 AM
RE: Question: Should old Genesis Traits be counted?
Rather than '[making] people value something for the wrong reason' I would suggest the idea is more properly to guide people to cease devaluing something for the wrong reasons.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley , Oselkhandro Resident , Ivy Norsk , Alassariah Resident , Dakota Bruhl , Beadnstone Jewell
03-05-2016, 06:44 PM
(03-05-2016 01:01 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  Rather than '[making] people value something for the wrong reason' I would suggest the idea is more properly to guide people to cease devaluing something for the wrong reasons.

It can go either way. I've seen some priced higher, because they're considered hard to come by anymore. "Rare"

Changing a gen to a trait isn't going to make a difference and maybe will cause confusion, since they say Gen right in the name.

A rose by any other name will still smell as sweet. There are ppl that love them, buy them and still breed them, that is all that matters.

Maybe hold some auctions using nothing but gen furs from time to time, to show off just how cute they are? Mix in other gen traits? Gen doesn't have to be a bad word, but I don't think it has to be labeled as trait either.

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Nenya Eun , JC Aferdita , Dimpz Morane , CatSoleil Bellecoeur , Aisling MacMoragh
03-05-2016, 09:21 PM
(03-05-2016 01:01 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  Rather than '[making] people value something for the wrong reason' I would suggest the idea is more properly to guide people to cease devaluing something for the wrong reasons.

I LOVE that!!!!
03-07-2016, 05:44 AM
I'm not to worried we'll lose traits either I hoard them like a mad woman :-)
I am very happy I have loads of old starters because I like those traits more and breed them much much rather.
I am not a fan of reci trait per definition either.
Ody frazywave or double everything tells a little why I prefer the older whiskers.
That said I do not envy the designer in having to keep come up with things.
There are just so many ways whiskers, tails and ears can be bend.
Certainly for traits, besides some uber cute new ones I've obtained without a doubt, I much rather have older traits otherwise.
Funny though that I still collect new traits in the summer regardless of if I like them because losing traits is not going to happen when it is up to me.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley , Devilness Chant , CatSoleil Bellecoeur , Aisling MacMoragh
03-08-2016, 02:43 AM
Without the Gen where would we all be with our Kitties?...I say they are the most important of all and deserve to be counted as traits once retired....AYE is my vote.

Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: debraworks2_Resident]
03-09-2016, 09:30 AM
I vote yes to an end to actively seeking to get rid of old gen Furs. Having read the thread my first response was hell yes lets count them and the eyes in a years time too. Then I read the rest and agree for many new breeders who are already confused about traits having some genesis ones count while others don't will be confusing. Lol for some of us older breeders too.
There should be a way to encourage old and new breeders alike to breed these furs so that we don't lose them and in fact the older Genesis furs are so hard to find you would actually expect the prices to be higher, so I agree its about changing the mindset of the community.
Maybe a secondary way to count traits alongside our established way is needed. But I'll let Tad work out how to do that Tongue

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
03-09-2016, 11:17 AM
The easiest method is to have the Pedigree View changed to automatically 'count'.
The back-end support for this is a page defining what is, and what is not, counted.

I have a proof-of-concept for this implemented solely in Javascript (actually, EMCAscript) which I inject using a browser extension. This uses the information currently shown on the page, and a list of trait values which do NOT get counted, then adds a line to the information block for each cat/box, showing the trait count. I have left it as solely a proof-of-concept work because the web pages are too much of a moving target for me to put out a product you can use which would not require frequent updates. KittyCatS, on the other hand, could easily add it to the existing page, without the need for any back-end support other than ensuring the 'not counted' list is maintained.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Even new genesis should be counted as traits, they are awesome!! Big Grin
03-20-2016, 04:49 PM
(03-09-2016 11:17 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  The easiest method is to have the Pedigree View changed to automatically 'count'.
The back-end support for this is a page defining what is, and what is not, counted.

I have a proof-of-concept for this implemented solely in Javascript (actually, EMCAscript) which I inject using a browser extension. This uses the information currently shown on the page, and a list of trait values which do NOT get counted, then adds a line to the information block for each cat/box, showing the trait count. I have left it as solely a proof-of-concept work because the web pages are too much of a moving target for me to put out a product you can use which would not require frequent updates. KittyCatS, on the other hand, could easily add it to the existing page, without the need for any back-end support other than ensuring the 'not counted' list is maintained.

Tad, I am always in awe of your technical know-how (i.e. genius)! Idea

CAT'S CATS
"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." (Leonardo da Vinci)
03-20-2016, 05:38 PM
I agree too, I would love them to be counted

~ Luna's Lucky KittyCatS ~
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cr.../73/120/21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)