Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Suggestion: Option to turn off Jump
03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Suggestion: Option to turn off Jump
Hello all,

I'd like to suggest that KittCats add the option to turn off jumping, just like with walk/run, etc. While I am pretty impressed with the way our two cats navigate around the furniture and things in our sky home, I have witnessed them getting outside a couple of times by walking up to the exterior wall and JUMPING through it. It would seem that while walking is physical, jumping is not :o Because of this they are often in the sky somewhere below our house when we teleport home.

Has anyone else noticed this? I read a couple of older posts about cats walking and falling through walls and floors, which sounds like a lag issue if the person was seeing it happen, as I haven't witnessed this myself.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 05:55 AM
RE: Suggestion: Option to turn off Jump
(03-14-2014 08:23 AM)Sarena Dreamscape Wrote:  Hello all,

I'd like to suggest that KittCats add the option to turn off jumping, just like with walk/run, etc. While I am pretty impressed with the way our two cats navigate around the furniture and things in our sky home, I have witnessed them getting outside a couple of times by walking up to the exterior wall and JUMPING through it. It would seem that while walking is physical, jumping is not :o Because of this they are often in the sky somewhere below our house when we teleport home.

Has anyone else noticed this? I read a couple of older posts about cats walking and falling through walls and floors, which sounds like a lag issue if the person was seeing it happen, as I haven't witnessed this myself.

Hi Sarena,
yes, I also find my cats under the house or even under water sometimes. but this is not because they jump, but because there must be some phantom-prim through which they are able to escape. Then I try to find the weak spot and to fix this part. I doubt, that one could fix it just turning the jumping off. If there are other experiences.... I am always glad to learn Smile
Find all posts by this user
03-21-2014, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 07:24 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
RE: Suggestion: Option to turn off Jump
(03-14-2014 08:23 AM)Sarena Dreamscape Wrote:  I read a couple of older posts about cats walking and falling through walls and floors, which sounds like a lag issue if the person was seeing it happen, as I haven't witnessed this myself.

The issue you're describing is the same as those old posts and is not related to lag.

As you noted, it is related to changing to be physical when moving and non-physical when standing still (but changing poses).

The solution is to turn off Walk/Run and set a fixed Pose, then position your cat and Set Home when you're done.

Since it cannot walk/run it never becomes physical. Setting a Pose prevents it slowly "wiggling" into and through other objects. Either would solve it, but I recommend both, just to be sure.

BTW, I submitted evidence of this, and researched it deeply, WAYY back in mid-2011. It's been a problem for KittyCatS! since Day Zero. There are technical fixes. None are pretty (to a programmer); some require a complete change to how cats move and pose; all cause lag, possibly an unacceptable lag. So I would expect we will never see a fix.

A work-around, which usually, but not always, works is to add invisible collision prims a bit above/below/inside/whatever the prims which cause you problems. This increases the probability that, when the cat rolls over, stands, sits, whatever, it won't wiggle past BOTH surfaces.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)